Friday, September 12, 2008

Man I am out of shape...

Damon loves Dora the Explorer...(I know, I know...) Well recently he watched an episode where Dora went into a cave and they found bears. Ever since seeing that episode, Damon begged Joe to take him to a cave. So last Saturday we decided to go hike up the Timp trail with the kids. We had one umbrella stroller, but stopped at Target on the way and bought another one so we could take both of the kids up the trail in strollers. To our dismay, once we got to the parking lot for the Timpanogos cave, there was a big sign that said "NO STROLLERS." Now I haven't hiked this trail since I was a little girl, and thought to myself..."that can't be right...they probably mean big strollers, not little umbrella strollers." But no. No strollers of any sort could be taken on the trail....it is much too steep they told me. We also weren't aware that we should have bought tickets ahead of time to take a tour of the cave, because it was just after noon, and the next tour opening wasn't until 3:30. I was ready to turn around at this point, but once again...I was wrong. Joe said that since we were already here, we might as well hike up for the fun of it. And fun it was. Joe carried Damon almost the whole hike, and I carried Halle almost the whole hike....(other than us switching kids every now and then, and Damon deciding to walk about 5 feet before wanting to be carried again!) Now I know I might deceive people....for I am thin... but rest assured, this does not mean I am in shape. I was huffing and puffing as I was carrying Halle up that trail. Man, they weren't lying....it is steep. Once we got to the top Joe talked one of the guides into letting us go on their tour right then. The 45 minute tour turned into over an hour of Damon inside the cave yelling...."Where are the bears dad? Where are the bears? Are they sleeping? Can you wake them up? Where are the bears.....?" (That dang Dora!) Needless to say, once the tour was over, Damon was quite upset we were leaving the cave without seeing a bear! Poor little guy. The next day I was so sore, and was walking like a lunatic.... But it did end up being a nice, memorable family outing... and the view was absolutely breathtaking. Moral of the story.... I need to get my butt into shape. Oh ya, and I forgot my camara at the car below, so couldn't even take any cute pics of our little family.

6 comments:

Southern Belle said...

WOW! That is a workout. We have noticed that when we visit UT we don't go hiking. We are so use to the lower elevation that we look so wimpy hiking in UT. I bet it was pretty though. I will have to remember the no stroller thing. That is crazy.

shellyray said...

That sounds like a lot of fun and A LOT of work. I'm thinking it would be fun to take the kids but then the next I'm thinking maybe not. :)

Dan and Sara said...

Kirstin!! I am so happy you left me a comment! Just a couple days ago I was reading my journal - and I wrote a lot about that summer we spent together. I remember all of that: having parties at my grandma's, going to Kamas and having crushes on those boys... lol! You are so cute and so nice. Thanks for the compliment! I will say that you too are a very beautiful person. I wish we still lived by each other so we could hang out! Your little kids are absolutely adorable. Our adoption is going - but nothing has really happened so far. A birth mother is showing interest in us, so we're keeping our fingers crossed... It sure is stressful & emotional! Thanks for asking. Well, I will for sure be keeping up with your exciting life. Have a great day!

Joe DeCastro said...

Family,
Congratulations on your little journey into rarified air. I'm glad no Ursas Majors nor Ursa Minors were present while spellunking. Too bad you didn't get pictures of the family on your trip as it would of been fun to see! Well see you soon.
GrandpaDad JoeDe

Brimaca said...

I know what you mean. I went shopping to four stores today because I was throwing my hubby a little congrats party (I'll blog about it later) and I was exhausted. I would rather do a workout video anytime!!! I need to get in shape too. I am proud to say that once I was exercising with my friend and she was skinny and I kicked her butt. I still like to tease her to this day. However I would trade her....

Amelia said...

Kirsten, I have hiked that and I was in okay shape, and it was hard! I wasn't even carrying a kid either! Pretty cool cave though! :) Did they turn off all of the lights for you guys? SO DARK! If so, how did your kids take it?