Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Damon's Sad Day

As told by Damon...
February 10, 2009

7:00 A.M. - Wake up and hang out with Dad while he gets ready for work

7:30 A.M. - Mom gets her lazy butt out of bed to get me some breakfast and hang out with me before preschool

9:00 A.M. - Preschool Starts. FUN DAY!!!

10:45 A.M. - Having a fun time, preschool is about to end, getting coats and boots and backpacks ready for parents to come pick the other kids up. (At this point I am still perfectly normal!!!)

11:00 A.M. - Head upstairs to go outside. Mom puts on my coat, and as she does, asks me what I am hiding in my mouth. I say nothing, so she grabs it, and I start crying.

11:10 A.M. - Mom is frantically looking at WEBMD and making phonecalls.... Then takes some pictures of me.
2:30 P.M. - We go to the Dr. A lot of things start happening to me. I get some bloodwork done in my arm. That HURT! They needed the bloodwork to rule out MUMPS. Then I had an ultrasound done on my jaw. That was needed to rule out a TUMOR or ABSCESS TOOTH. My bloodwork came back and I have a severe Parotid Bacterial Infection. So what do you think they did next.... Thats right... the most painful shot in my thigh! It was so painful infact, that for about 4 hours after having it, I don't want to walk, and don't even think about touching me!

4:15 P.M. - We finally pulled in back home from the Dr. I just laid on my mom and moaned and groaned about the pain of my leg and mouth.

***Damon should be gettng better soon. This is a non contagious infection and the doctor and I don't really have any idea where it came from. As of today (approx 30 hours later) Damon's jaw is still swollen and hard as a rock, but seems to be coming down a little bit in size. He did have to go to the Doctor again today for another shot in his other thigh (at moments now he refuses to walk at all from the pain), and is supposed to go again tomorrow afternoon. The poor kid has endured enough!

17 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh my good heavens Kirstin! Poor little Damon. I feel so bad for him. At least it's nothing serious...meaning, at least they can take care of it. I feel so bad for Damon. It's so hard to see little kids in pain. Hope he's feeling better soon!

shellyray said...

How sad! I feel bad for the both of you. That's no fun.

Misty Anderson said...

Oh My gosh how weird is that! Poor Damon!

Brimaca said...

Wow! Very scary. I'm glad they know what it is and can figure it out. I can't believe it happened so fast! I hate stuff like that, it makes me really nervous!

Lori and Matt said...

Oh my gosh!!! I'm glad it wasn't too serious. Hope he gets better soon!

andi said...

Whoa- glad he's okay!!! (Is this the kind of stuff I have to look forward to in parenthood? Yikes!)

The Olsons said...

The poor little guy! That is so sad. I hope he gets feeling better. I think this happened to one of my friends kids several years ago, I'll have to find out now what it was. Hope Damon gets doing better!

Jessie said...

Wow, that looks totally crazy.... and a little painful! Poor guy. Hope it goes away soon.

The Bensons said...

That poor little boy! I would cry too if I had a big fat shot stuck in my thigh. Tell Damon we hope he gets better soon.

The Jarretts said...

Oh no!! Poor Damon! Give him a kiss for me. How sad. Even though it is really sad his pics made me laugh cause he's still smiling in them.

Dan and Sara said...

NO way! Poor little guy! I can't believe how puffy his little face & jaw got. I bet it broke your heart when they had to give him those shots! I hope he recovers quick! Keep us posted.

Allie said...

That's one fast-acting-mean-bacteria! Sad! Poor boy.

Shelley Eggett said...

HOLY CRAP!! That is scary - I hope he's better soon

Rob & Autum said...

I am so sorry for you and Damon. That looks like it really hurts and I know it is not fun seeing your kids in pain! I hope he gets feeling better soon!

Yergensen Family said...

Hope he gets better soon. That is so so scary!

Steven and Whitney said...

Poor kid--he needs a really GOOD reward!

Amelia said...

Oh my! Poor Damon! (And poor you!) Those pictures are great though! At least he was still smiling. Such a cute kid. :) He had no choice though...good gene pool!