Wednesday, February 18, 2009

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????

Yesterday morning (one week after taking Damon to the doctor and being told he has a bacterial infection that is NOT contagious) I got a phone call at 8:30 in the morning. Who from you ask? Well it was Damon's doctor letting me know that he had just seen Damon's extensive blood test results that had come back to them on Monday evening and guess what?! It's the MUMPS!!! Seriously, who gets the mumps anymore? Yes... Damon has been vaccinated. Apparently there is still a 5% chance that once you have been vaccinated you can still get the mumps. Now, get this.... Once you show the symptoms for mumps, you are supposed to be held in isolation for 5 days so you don't expose anyone else! Well, last Tuesday the Good Doctors assured me that Damon didn't have mumps, and he had absolutely nothing contagious. His 5 day isolation period would have been up as of last Saturday.... but whereas we didn't think Damon had anything to worry about he still went to preschool, played with all his cousins, attended church.... you know, all the normal things. SO this is my formal apology to everyone. I had no idea... I again put my trust in the doctors! Anyways, that was just my... "are you freaking kidding me" moment of the week. Damon is doing well. He still has a hard lump under his right jaw, but other than that seems to feel fine. By tomorrow he is no longer contagious at all, and then he just waits the dang disease out... not that it seems to be bothering him at all. Moral of the story... if your kid starts swelling at their jawline and it gets as big as a baseball within 15 minutes, accompanied by a fever.... take them to the doctor, and demand a Mumps test!

**Oh ya, not to mention Damon didn't even need the day after day after day antibiotic shots in his legs!

10 comments:

Brimaca said...

Oh my goodness! How frustrating. Poor little guy. Sad he got it even after being vaccinated. And this is why you do vaccinate because these things come back when people don't.

*~Sarah~* said...

Holy COW! that is so crazy! Poor little guy... Hope he's feeling alright. You can never trust doctors! LOL

mj said...

Oh, that is AWFUL! I can't even begin to understand how you might feel right now. At least he's feeling well. Hope he gets back to normal soon!!

Jessie said...

Stupid Doctors. I'm so sorry Kake. Tell Damon that I love him and that I still hate pickles!

The Olsons said...

Oh my GOSH Kirstin! I can't believe it! That is crazy and I feel so bad for the poor little guy. And I'm sorry for all that you've had to go through too! Let me know if I can do anything!

Dan and Sara said...

Seriously? Mumps? I can't believe it! I had to read this post twice to make sure I read it right... Wow, no disrespect to Doctors, but what's up with that? It happens all the time - it's very frustrating. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this, and poor little Damon. I hope this nightmare ends soon for you!

Erin said...

OH my goodness! That is crazy! I always thought that if you immunize then kids can't get these kinds of things. That is crazy! Can you imagine kids that don't get immunized? That could be scary! I hope he starts feeling better and hopefully no one else gets it.

Jenny said...

AH! Wow! Luckily if Damon was playing with cousins and going to preschool, it must not be causing him too many troubles. At least it'll be a good story to tell him when he's older. Man. The mumps! Who gets the mumps anymore? Poor kiddo.

The Bensons said...

Oh my gosh... those darn doctors and your poor little boy! We had Garrett misdiagnosed for dry skin and he actually had some bacterial infection that can mess up your pigment. That is why he has some light patches on that gorgeous skin of his. Anyway, I hope Damon gets better soon. Let me know if there is anything I ccan do for you.

Steven and Whitney said...

The MUMPS? I thought that was an illness only our grandparents had to worry about! Just kidding. That is aweful, though. He's going to need some love from his mommy. I know you will help him through it--poor little guy!